What is THE best medicine against migraine?
No treatment is universally 100% effective for everyone (we would know it!). But for sure there is one that will suit you.
Everyone is different, notably when it comes to…
- Sensitivity to side effects: a medicine can be poorly tolerated whereas another one will be well tolerated.
- The way attacks appear: fast or slow?
- Length of attacks: hours, days?
- Preferred form of administration: pill, wafer, nasal spray, injection, suppository… There are many possibilities. This is very useful if vomiting occurs frequently and rapidly, and that oral treatment is not an option.
- Medical contra-indications: to discuss with your doctor.
- Financial means: some treatments are expensive, and others exist in generic version and are more affordable.
As a general rule, if you have tried over-the-counter drugs without success (Tylenol, Motrin, Advil, Aspirin, etc.), you should try a triptan on prescription, as these drugs are conceived specifically for the treatment of migraines and are effective with 75% of patients. A lot of people put up with attacks because they do not know about available options to treat their migraines.