How to find a Headache Clinic in Canada – We Want to Hear From You!
Migraine Canada is working on an exciting new project to compile a nation-wide list of Headache Clinics across Canada – a Canadian Headache Clinic Locator. Patients in Canada currently face difficulty in accessing headache and migraine care. This issue is compounded by the fact that the number of Headache Specialists in the country is limited. This tool will equip patients with knowledge of their nearest Headache Clinic which they can bring to their healthcare provider to start a conversation about referral options.
The first step toward achieving this goal is to determine what exactly we mean by a Headache Clinic. It may sound simple and obvious: a place where you can find good care for headaches!
But consider these different options:
The person looking for help could be
- An adult
- A child
- A person with occasional episodic migraines
- A person with chronic migraine that has tried everything
- A person with a rare headache problem
- A person with a concussion
The health care provider could be
- A family physician
- A Nurse Practitioner
- A general neurologist
- A headache specialist
- A pain specialist
In addition to a medical evaluation and basic prescriptions, different services can be provided for headache care, for example:
- Multidisciplinary care (physiotherapy, psychotherapy, nutrition, occupational therapy)
- Therapeutic education (explaining to you what you need to self-manage better)
- Nursing support (phone call, counselling)
- Injections and blocks
- Intra-venous infusions
- Participation to research
It is not that simple. We know that people with migraine have differing experiences and needs. That’s why we want to hear from you!
- We will soon ask for your insights about what YOU define as a headache clinic. Stay tuned!
- If you know of a Headache Clinic in your area, please email us the coordinates (address, exact name, website, phone number). This information will significantly help us as we compile our nation-wide list of Headache Clinics.
Your feedback is really important to us and will help shape this new tool that will increase access to headache and migraine support across the country.
If you’d like to send us a response please fill our survey by clicking on the bottom below. If you have any questions or other feedback about this project, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you so much. We’re excited to hear from you!