Checklist : Healthy nutrition for migraine
Here is an easy checklist of healthy changes you can make to your diet that could help your migraine. Do this before you engage in any more complicated diet.
• Drink more water, herbal tea
• Drink less juice, caffeine, alcohol
• Stop drinking sodas
• Do not skip meals
• Have a healthy snack handy to avoid cravings (high in protein, low in sugar)
• Avoid refined sugar and artificial sweeteners
• Avoid processed food, eat more fresh food
• Adopt a healthy mediterranean diet: more vegetables, whole grain, lean protein
If you want to take it one step further:
• Consult a nutritionist
• Try a lactose-free or gluten-free diet
• Try an elimination diet with a structured approach
• Do NOT engage in expense cures, food fads or extreme diets
• Do NOT avoid every potential food that could be trigger without a proper observation, especially if you have frequent migraine
• Keep your horizons open. Remember that diet is not the only component of a healthy migraine-friendly lifestyle
• Read more on natural supplements for migraine prevention See this post
• Read more on the ketogenic diet See this post
- Zaeem Z, Zhou L, Dilli E. Headaches: a Review of the Role of Dietary Factors. Current neurology and neuroscience reports. 2016;16(11):101.
- Finocchi C, Sivori G. Food as trigger and aggravating factor of migraine. Neurol Sci. 2012;33 Suppl 1:S77-80.
- Borkum JM. Migraine Triggers and Oxidative Stress: A Narrative Review and Synthesis. Headache. 2016;56(1):12-35.